This Electronic Device by MIT Can Be Swallowed to Track Bodily Health

By: Laura McQuarrie - Dec 15, 2015
References: & bizjournals
There are plenty of new advancements being made to wearable health monitors daily, but MIT is already envisioning the next generation of devices. Since there are many monitors that can be uncomfortable to wear for prolonged periods, MIT developed a sensor that can be swallowed.

Once ingested, the sensor is designed to read vital signs from within the gastrointestinal tract. By monitoring sound waves from the beating of a heart or the inhalation and exhalation of the lungs, the smart device is able to decode acoustics for health.

The idea for this ingestible device was inspired by the stethoscope, in the same way that doctors are able to listen to a patient's body and detect issues. As a technical staff member at the Lincoln Laboratory, Albert Swiston describes this sensor is just like "an extremely tiny stethoscope that you can swallow."