As accessibility to distant locales surges and people's interest in extreme sports expands, so does the adventure travel market. Swimming with dolphins used to be cutting edge at Sea World's Discovery Cove resort. But now tourists are spanning the globe for vacation thrills. Travelers with a taste for adrenaline can now swim with sharks on nearly every continent. The Travel Channel has compiled a list of the 10 best places to swim with sharks.
1. Cocos Island, Costa Rica - A multi-day trek aboard a ship takes divers out to view rays, pilot whales and dolphins; the waters are also home to Galapagos sharks and schooling hammerheads.
2. Galapagos Islands, Ecuador - See the critters documented by Charles Darwin and swim with schooling hammerheads and marine iguanas.
3. Papua New Guinea - It's almost impossible not to have a shark encounter here. See hammerheads, silvertips, wobbegongs, nurse sharks, leopard sharks, whale sharks and even the occasional tiger shark or thresher shark.
4. The Maldives - The Shark Thila reef is home to 16 reef sharks that make this a well-known dive site in the Indian Ocean. The colorful reef also makes for great underwater photography.
5. Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt - Stay in the Sinai Desert and explore shark-filled waters by the Straits of Tiran and Ras Mohammed.
The rest of the top ten can be viewed at The Travel Channel.
Stats for Extreme Tourism
Trending: Older & Mild
Research: 11,332 clicks in 454 w
Interest: 3.8 minutes
Concept: Extreme Tourism
Related: 38 examples / 29 photos
Segment: Neutral, 18-55
Comparison Set: 14 similar articles, including: 10 examples of lease sharing, wireless smart doorbell systems, and ai plant-based meat.
More Stats +/-
Wireless Smart Doorbell Systems
10 Examples of Lease Sharing
AI Plant-Based Meat
Sporty Family SUVs
Parental Leave Points Plans