Chris Jordan is an expert at creating insanely detailed mosaics out of life-size photographs of his subjects. This particular collection of consumption art that I've selected features the large-scale version; his site, however features three images per piece that are zoomed in appropriately.
The caption of each of Chris Jordan's consumption art includes an eye-popping statistic that'll make you think twice about the trash you produce.
Here's a guide to the statistics and images in the gallery, as quoted on Chris Jordan's site.
1. Depicts 1.14 million brown paper supermarket bags, the number used in the US every hour.
2. Depicts 60,000 plastic bags, the number used in the US every five seconds.
3. Depicts 426,000 cell phones, equal to the number of cell phones retired in the US every day.
4. Depicts 106,000 aluminum cans, the number used in the US every thirty seconds.
5. Depicts two million plastic beverage bottles, the number used in the US every five minutes.
6. Depicts 410,000 paper cups, equal to the number of disposable hot-beverage paper cups used in the US every fifteen minutes.
7. Depicts one million plastic cups, the number used on airline flights in the US every six hours.
8. Depicts one hundred million toothpicks, equal to the number of trees cut in the U.S. yearly to make the paper for junk mail.
9. Depicts 320,000 light bulbs, equal to the number of kilowatt hours of electricity wasted in the United States every minute from inefficient residential electricity usage (inefficient wiring, computers in sleep mode, etc.).
10. Depicts 28,000 42-gallon barrels, the amount of of oil consumed in the United States every two minutes (equal to the flow of a medium-sized river).
Stats for Art From Consumption
Trending: Older & Chilly
Research: 7,424 clicks in 381 w
Interest: 4 minutes
Concept: Art From Consumption
Related: 72 examples / 55 photos
Segment: Neutral, 18-35
Comparison Set: 26 similar articles, including: face made of human bodies, 32,000 barbies represent real boob jobs, and skulls made of 200,000 cigarette packs.
Art From Consumption
More Stats +/-
32,000 Barbies Represent Real Boob Jobs
Face Made of Human Bodies
Skulls Made of 200,000 Cigarette Packs
Character-Themed Tech Shops
Fruity Vinegar Sprays