In recent years, airports have received increasing attention from governments and architects, and have become monuments of architectural accomplishments on their own. They have come a long way from being a place for spectators to enjoy air shows at the start of the 20th century, into a gateway to the increasingly smaller world.
An airport is the first thing we see when we visit a new country, and having a pleasant and comfortable experience at there sets the tone of our impression of the country.
Here is a selection of innovative airport designs, starting by the second image in the gallery and going left to right, top to bottom:
- Doha international airport, Qatar: Designed by HOK with estimated completion 2009/2010.
- Islamabad International Airport, Pakistan: Desgined by downer EDI limited & CPG corporation with estimated completion 2010.
- Indianapolis international airport, midfield terminal, USA: Designed by HOK with estimated completion 2008.
- Carrasco international airport expansion, uruguay: Designed by by rafael vinoly with estimated completion 2009.
- Shenzhen airport, china: Designed by massimiliano fuksas architects, 2008.
- Beijing international airport, china: Designed by foster + partners 2003-2008.
- Incheon international airport, transportation centre, korea: Designed by samoo architects, DMJM + TF&P with estimated completion 2008.
- Heathrow international airport, terminal 5, UK: Designed by roger stirk harbour + partners, 1989-2008.
- Hyderabad international airport, india: Designed by GMR group, malaysia airports, government of andhra pradesh, and airports authority of india, 2008.
Stats for Airports as Monuments
Trending: Older & Mild
Research: 11,953 clicks in 411 w
Interest: 4 minutes
Concept: Airports As Monuments
Related: 53 examples / 41 photos
Segment: Neutral, 18-55+
Comparison Set: 20 similar articles, including: towered scholarly hubs, wallet-sized smartphone chargers, and automotive air filters.
Airports as Monuments
More Stats +/-
Wallet-Sized Smartphone Chargers
Towered Scholarly Hubs
Automotive Air Filters
Imaging Algorithm Diagnostics